Thursday 30 September 2010

Core Activity 2.2: Reflection on the Drivers Exercise

Practice-related Competencies
The most obvious realization here was that E-portfolios are recognized as a valuable tool for learners (Seimens,2004).  The depth and breadth of possibility is astonishing but so is the cultural and curriculum change required to make it them truly integrated as effective tools. As an internal consultant for the MoD I often advise on the issues of implementation v's benefit and the Drivers Exercise clearly highlighted these to be of benefit in my professional domain. The collaborative nature of the task itself also provided insight and benefit. I was struck how much I was 'pulled back' to the computer to see what had been posted or what had changed. This exercise clearly demonstrated the power of online collaboration and has overturned my views on learning communities.  

Communications Competencies
I felt that I recognized some of the issues we were to face as a tutor group within minutes of reading the task requirements and saw that these would require resolving / organizing before we could complete the task.  However, I found it difficult to broach this within the group without being conscious of taking the lead when the majority of the group have far more experience in this style of learning than I do.  We got there because someone else took the plunge (and showed pro-activity).  I recognize now that my assertion was correct and my potential solution would have worked had I the confidence in my new found environment. Next time I should contribute to the organisation of the collaborative task earlier.  

Technology Competencies
I had tried using Google Docs before, but without having a reason to collaborate the full extent of utility was lost upon me.  However the decision to use Docs was agreed by the group and soon made sense.  The synchronous capability was also demonstrated more by luck than judgement when a fellow tutor group member found ourselves on line together and recognized that a chat facility was flashing in the corner.  As a task to demonstrate and expand my technological competencies, this has been effective and fun. Finding my way around Blogger has also been interesting if fraught with inconsistencies of approach and technical mis-understanding. I have since found out that Google Chrome (my Browser of choice) doesn't support the cutting and pasting of text in blogger nor in Google Docs where our collaboration has been occurring.  This in turn pushed me to use forums elsewhere to discover why and how to adjust the irritating niggle. I'm still none the wiser how I did it but I appear to have some control over Cut N' Paste now. 

Research Competencies
Possibly most relevant is the research element of this task.  Prior to conducting the research into E-portfolios I didn't recognize their value as they are particularly difficult to see working in my current work area due to simple IT infrastructure and accessibility issues.  The value and potential employment of e-portfolios has been a major revelation but it has also confirmed my interest in what and how something has been implemented.  Outside of the texts required for the activities I was particularly struck by the usefulness of a Becta article on the maturity of E-portfolio systems.

References

http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/eportfolios.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment